Monday 15 April 2013

Demographics and Psychographics (Target Audience)

For my music video, I believe that the intended target audience are most likely to be both males and females between the ages of 16-25 due to the fact that the whole music video revolves around a live performance and creating a connection with the audience and these are all key themes that are instantly identifiable and appealing to people from this age range. However, I am of the opinion that the video may be slightly more appealing towards the male gender due to the close ups of the instruments and the dark nature of the video can be linked more closely to them. The lyrics of the song that I have chosen (Get Back by Nine Lashes) consist of the ideas of cheating on a girlfriend, waiting for your true love, and revenge; and as a result of this it is clear to see why I am attempting to create a dark music video. These themes are likely to be more appealing to a younger audience, and this can be reflected in the age range which I have highlighted earlier.


As a result of the target audiences' age, it is most probable that they are going to be students and I believe that this has a fundamental role in the creation of my music video as they are the most likely customers to consume my media as they will have the most time on their hands. These people will then be seeking a sense of escapism from their somewhat repetitive and monotonous lives and will do so through viewing my music video and possibly playing the instruments that the band members play. The young age of my target audiences means that it is difficult to place them exactly into an social class, as this is constantly changing variable at this end of the spectrum, however I believe that they would fall under the category of C-D1 as the indie and rock genre's do not usually appeal to the mass markets or higher classes due to the negative connotations that are attached to them.


Finally, my video is from the indie/rock genre and as a result of this, I believe that the music video will be aired on less popular music channels like MTV ROCKS, Kerrang and NME as an niche market are most likely to be attracted to my video due to the dark nature of the video and the scenes that some people of higher class may consider to be explicit.

No comments:

Post a Comment